Thursday, February 14, 2019

Resident Evil 2 - The Spooky Bois - Part 1

While I feel confident in my ability to play a horror game without aid from another human being, but it would be criminal of me to not invite my friend David, a Resident Evil expert, to join me on the journey.

And Clayton also pitched in. Together, we are... The Spooky Bois.




One of the things I'm most impressed by is the game's ability to maintain a strong atmosphere throughout my entire stint at the police station. Even with those two yapping in my ear, I had a couple of times where I was genuinely spooked.

Resident Evil 2 also is great at giving the player a very precise ammo count. While I never felt like I was comfortable with the amount of ammo in my clip, I also didn't feel like I was running too low at any point in time. I still had to consider if/when I would engage each threat, but if I was in a desperate situation then I could dump the resources I had and scavenge to make up for the loss.

While I never played the original version, this updated version feels like the perfect synthesis of the old school and modern game design. I've heard tales of what happens in the later parts of the game, so it'll be exciting to see if expectation meets reality.

No comments: