Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Seasonal Vacation - Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage - Part 3

Despite the serenity of the home world we now reside in, not all is well within the world of Avalar. Even discounting Ripto's machinations, there's plenty of trouble brewing between the local residents of each world. And we're just the right shade of purple dragon to deal with their problems.

Or at least play them off each other enough to make a profit.



Something I mentioned in my first Spyro 2 stream, but didn't mention in the post for it is that many of the levels have links between them. Some of them are less obvious, like the people of Colossus and Idol Springs being the same. Others are more overt, like the war between the residents of Breeze Harbor and Zephyr.

Before I say anything more, I want to point out that I was not involved in designing Spyro 2. Nor do I know anyone who has. I am speaking purely as a fan when I say that it feels like it seems like they were trying to do something my linking different worlds together. That said, I can't be sure what that is.

These links do create a more coherent vision of the world in question here. The fact that people from one level will talk about and reference other areas goes a way towards strengthening the sense of cohesion.

Next time, we can get into some of the more interesting lore and design details of Ripto's Rage, with an upcoming boss fight and journey into the cold Winter Tundra.

No comments: