Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Resident Evil 2 - The Spooky Bois - Part 6

Here it is, guys. Multiple people have told me that this is the worst section of the game, and together David, Clayton and I will begin to explore the Sewer section with Ada Wong.

Of course, we have to bust out of the police station first before we can even think about that, but that shouldn't be too hard.




Something I have noticed, especially in this Route B run, is that despite Mr. X's status as the strongest and most relentless enemy in the game, he isn't all that much of a genuine threat. Or at least, he doesn't feel like one.

To be honest, the generic zombies pose a significantly greater threat than X. I am damaged much more often by them then by the big man himself. Despite my abnormally reasonable luck with them so far in Route B, lickers remain the most significant threat to me.

The other aspect of Route B that I have to call attention to is just how stingy the game is with ammo. I feel like I'm always at the razor's edge, having just enough bullets to keep going. This was true in Claire's Route A run too, but for a different reason. Claire had limited ammo on her person, but a mountain of it in storage. With Leon, I don't have that surplus waiting for me in my Item Box. It's an uncomfortable, not impossible situation, which I believe is the intention.

As for the Ada Wong section... it's fine. I think Clayton and David overhyped it. I had much more trouble with the Sherry segment than I did with the Ada one. Sure, her resources are limited, but so is the time you send playing as her.

What I find more interesting is learning that Leon and Ada Wong have been linked ever since their first appearances. Before a friend of mine asked me to run Resident Evil 5 and 6 with them, my only exposure to the franchise was second-hand. I knew that those two characters had a history, but since I had no knowledge of RE2, I thought Ada's first appearance was as a sort-of double-agent character in RE4.

This is quite a learning experience for me, and I'm having a great time with it.

No comments: