Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Adventures of the Pride - Sea of Thieves - Part 2

Join us for another exciting tale of pirates and plunder upon the high-seas. I, Mr. Doucet, and Mr. Davenport have experienced so many wonders that it's hard to say where to begin, but our story is one of the ages.

This is the most free ship you'll ever set foot one. With great pleasure, I would like to welcome you aboard our vessel: The Pride, named after it's signature Rainbow Flag.



As promised in my previous post on Sea of Thieves, I will now go into details regarding my problems with the game.

The first is that this is not the kind of game I could see myself coming back to everyday. Something I've said several times during this and last stream is that I avoid playing too many sessions of Sea of Thieves very deliberately. I enjoy hunting treasure or fighting hordes of undead pirates, but if I play too often I'm afraid I am liable to grow tired and bored of the game. While the developers have been, and are, continuing to add meaningful content to the game, the core is still largely unchanged. For the most part, entirely driven by procedurally generated content.

Part of that, and second among my complaints, is that out of the three factions who assign you quests, one of them is not all that fun: The Merchant Alliance. Randomly searching the seas, hoping that I might find one of the items I need to transport to the target location before time runs out, is much more stressful (at least to me) than leisurely sailing to specific areas on the hunt for gold and bounties. I'll gladly sell the occasional loot I find along the way, but these timed fetch quests don't engender many positive feelings.

Lastly, and this is more one of personal taste. I wish there was something to strive for beyond cosmetics, even if it wasn't character progression. While I like dressing up my character (and my ship) in new outfits, I never feel like I'd doing anything "meaningful" during my play sessions in Sea of Thieves. Perhaps that's a bad attitude to take into a video game, but I still like to feel like I'm working towards more than just a fancy new hat or coat.

None of these are deal-breakers for me. (Obviously, since I'm still playing the game.) However, they keep me from falling fully in love with it in the way I want to. Blemishes that don't sink the whole, but subtly detract from it.

No comments: