Monday, November 9, 2020

The Dark Duo - Little Hope - Part 2

Like moths to the flame, Acharky and I return to the horrors of Little Hope to unravel the mysteries at the heart of a town seeped in tragedy and sin. Are we doomed to forever live and relive the haunted past, or can we finally let the dearly departed rest in peace?

We all have our demons. And if we don't confront them, we risk losing ourselves to them.


I'll be honest. I did not expect that plot twist coming, even if I should have. It doesn't come out of nowhere, and the seeds were all established in the story beforehand. If anything, knowing what I know now makes a repeat playthrough all the more appealing. It would interesting to see how scenes change with the added context, and what other possible endings there could be.

I also wonder if this signals a trend we can expect to see in the rest of The Dark Pictures Anthology. In both Man of Medan and Little Hope, the monsters and horrors our protagonists go up against all have rational, logical explanations for their existence. Part of both games is uncovering the truth and using that to dispel or otherwise neutralize them, conquering them in turn.

If that through line continues, then is it natural to suspect that even the Curator/Grim Reaper himself also has a logical explanation? As unlikely as it seems, he himself is the one who keeps insisting that "things are not always as they appear to be".

Either way, I had a blast playing this, and I eagerly look forward to seeing what they do next year.

No comments: