Thursday, October 15, 2020

A Quick Run - Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2

So here I am, doin' everythin' I can.
Holdin' onto what I am.
Pretendin' I'mma Superman.

That's right. We're going back to a old classic. Pretty much every person in my age bracket grew up with the Tony Hawk Pro Skater games, and I am no exception. That franchise almost single-handedly created a boom for the skateboarding community, and it's easy to see why that would be the case.

What this stream impressed upon me most was just how important the soundtrack was to the overall tone and experience of playing these games. Without it, some of the levels are a little eerie and unsettling, especially in their emptiness. If I wasn't afraid of getting copyright strikes, I would gladly turn the music on, but sadly practicality wins out this day.

That aside, I'm impressed by how great this remaster is. It feels so good to play a Tony Hawk game that isn't awful again. My skills have rusted over completely in the time since, but even then it plays exactly as I remember. I look forward to doing the rest, though it will be on my own time.

No comments: