Monday, September 24, 2018

Alpha Protocol - Closure Alert - Part 2

Aldowyn, Wil, and I are back once again, continuing our journey of redemption with Closure Alert - Alpha Protocol.


And as a reminder, you can find our original recordings here.

It's been interesting to rewatch the old show in the context of trying to resurrect it in this format. It's been five whole years since then, Disclosure Alert has grown into a bit of a meme among the very limited group of people who even know about it. On top of that, we've all grown in the time since, which really comes off in the recording.


For example, I thought I was being funny when making fun of Aldowyn's play in the original recording. With the benefit of hindsight (and many people rightfully calling me out at the time for what seems, to them, as abusive behavior), it was completely insufferable and ruined my enjoyment of those videos. I've also gain a lot of experience and comfort doing streams and recordings since then, so I don't feel like I need to rely on that brand of humor anymore.

The realm of choice-based games has also expanded significantly in the time between then and now. Telltale basically revived (and executed) the Choose Your Own Adventure genre. Where Alpha Protocol styled itself as a spy movie simulator, Until Dawn did the same (much more successfully) with the horror movie genre.

There's also the fact that many of us on cast are more... politically active than we were during that original series. As a result, we notice things that we just didn't before, as Aldowyn did about Alpha Protocol's implied support of torture, or "enhanced interrogation techniques", as they are called in polite conversation. 

I'm glad to be doing this again. It's well worth it.

No comments: