Thursday, November 24, 2016

Hitman (2016) - Episode 22 - Eluded Target

If the title of this episode has you confused, my attempt at "The Fixer" was... less than ideal.



I'll be honest with you, I was really bummed that I bungled that mission at the end.

But in hindsight, it's good that I was able to capture that on camera, to demonstrate the true finality of these Elusive Targets. Because of my failure, I will never be able to succeed at "The Fixer", even though I know exactly what I did wrong and how I can correct my mistake if I could have a second chance.



Yet, despite my failure here, I still think that these Elusive Targets are an awesome addition to the game. This story I'm telling through my experience here is completely unique to me. No other person will be able to replicate what happened in these last two episodes.

There's something inherently unique about video games in that even if two players have similar stories, going only similar beats, no two players will ever have the exact same experience. These Elusive Targets capitalize on that, even if the one-attempt clause can lead to frustration. The benefit of giving each player a single, unique story of how they either cleverly found their own path or failed in some spectacular, tense, and exciting manner, is worth that frustration born from hindsight.

It's something I look forward to every time an Elusive Target is announced.

No comments: